Saturday, June 9, 2018

Jesus Goes to Garage Sales

Garage sales and I have a love/hate relationship.

I LOVE to GO to them. Dusty and I furnished our first home via garage sales. They tickle my fancy for adventure and discovery. Donuts are often involved. They have helped me navigate and discover new cities when we move. They are fun, family-bonding time, and we run into all sorts of new friends.

I like the IDEA of having them. I like to get rid of stuff (so much stuff). I like the idea of money for things I wish we'd never bought. Ha! You with me on that?

However, the REALITY of having a garage sale feels much like most women say they feel when they know their mother-in-law is coming over. (Thankfully, I have the most gracious, amazing, non-judgey mothers-in-law, so I only have to feel this level of anxiety when I'm dumb enough to have a garage sale).

It really shouldn't be such a big deal. But I am me. There is a weird level of rejection when people drive by but decide you're not worthy of a stop. (We totally do this too, by the way.) There is an awkward feeling of conflict when I have to decide if I'd rather take someone's offer and sell the dumb thing or try to put it on eBay. There is a twinge of failure when I load up the left overs to take them to the nearest thrift store. Yes, I am CLEARLY too sensitive, but that is the way Jesus made me.

Even so, I talked myself into taking part in our neighborhood sale again this year.

The outcome wasn't much different. The anxiety was annoyingly apparent in my soul. And yet, this was the best garage sale I've ever had - despite the fact that I made about $50.

It's been a tough year. There has been a lot of illness, loss, and difficulty, both in our family and for those we love and to whom we minister. As an empathizer and an intercessor, sometimes I can forget to release all of that burden to Jesus. I can allow it to take me to heavy places.

It was in an anxious, heavy mindset that I sat behind my little table and chatted with Garage Sale Jenny about books and journals. After she paid for her new-found treasures, she handed me a colorful, laminated scripture card.

"I make these and give them to people," she smiled. "I also give out my brother's book." She handed me a copy of a thin volume entitled, Skies are Not Cloudy all Day. I began to sense that God had led sweet Jenny to my dreary little sale.

I told her how GREAT both gifts were. She shared a tiny snippet of her brother's story. I mentioned that my husband and I were in ministry.

"I just feel such a spirit of refreshing from you," she exulted, and I suddenly could not hold back the tears. I relayed to sweet Jenny the name plate my parents had given me as a child. "Tammi - Refreshing One" it reads. It still hangs in my laundry room. However, as of late I feel anything but refreshing. "I can feel the Spirit moving," she whispered, "It was so nice to meet you." We shook hands once more, she uttered words about ministry and the power of God and walked back to her car.

The rest of my sale time was spent flipping through the pages of the book and nestling, awestruck into the heart of my Savior - a God who loves me so much that He sees me in heavy, broken places. And even as I am holding burdens I know better than to carry, He sends me Jenny to say, "I see you. I know you by name. You are still my refreshing one. You are still mine."

Your heaviness and broken places are, no doubt, different than mine. They may even be dismal and feel unbearable. Even so, I know that He sees you and knows you where you are (Read Psalm 139 if you have forgotten ;). His Word says He will meet you in those places - when you've forgotten the call, forgotten the vision, forgotten your name - and He will BE WITH YOU (Isaiah 43:2). ~Immanuel - God WITH us~

I encourage you to find a quiet place in the presence of the One who formed you and loves you. Ask Him to remind you of His call, His vision, His heart for your life. Ask Him to show you how He has BEEN and is BEING with you in the midst of your current struggle. Then ask Him to remind you whose you are. You are not alone. You are not forgotten. You are not abandoned. Jesus is here for you - yes, even in the unease of a garage sale.

No comments: